Lately we have noticed a larger number of pets being brought into the clinic because of poison. Rat poison, ant poison, mouse poison, yard fertilizer and weed killers can all be extremely dangerous to your pets. Make sure you pick up any of these items and dispose of them according to the directions on the box or bag. If you know or suspect your pet has eaten any of these items, call your vet. DON’T WAIT. Many of these poisons work very fast and the sooner treatment is started the better the chances of survival. You will need the box or bag so you can tell them what kind of poison the animal has eaten so proper treatment can be determined. Be careful at all times with poisons,

Keeping Your Garden Safe

There are many things to consider when planning your yard also. While you’re on alert for possible toxic plants, don’t forget about other common dangers when gardening. While fertilizer is wonderful for your plants, it can be extremely appealing (and potentially dangerous) to curious dogs. When ingested, fertilizers can cause vomiting, diarrhea and, in some cases, weakness or stiffness in your pets’ hind legs.

Additionally, insecticides may help to keep annoying bugs away from your beautiful garden, but if the directions on the label are not followed, these products can be dangerous to pets. Always use caution when dealing with insect poisons.

Best practice when gardening is to make sure to keep your pet out of the area when you are using fertilizers and insecticides, and follow all the label instructions.Be sure to keep your flowers fenced off and keep any curious paws away from the garden.

If you suspect your pet has been exposed to any poisonous substances, contact your veterinarian or call Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) at 888-426-4435 immediately. There is a $65 charge for this service.

 

Pin It on Pinterest